Electric rice cooker or
Pressure cooker or
A non-stick heavy bottomed pan with a lid
150 ml basmati rice (click here to see how to cook rice )
300 ml- 400 ml hot water
5-6 strands of saffron or 1/4 tsp turmeric pd
2 eggs (hard boiled) (click here to see how to boil eggs)
2 tbsp hot milk (optional)
1tbsp fresh mint leaves or 1/2 tsp dried mint (click to see how to dry mint and green chilli)
1 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp ghee/ butter
1 tsp Salt
Whole spices- (If you do not have these, add 1 tsp pulav or biryani masala after frying onions)
1/2 tsp shahjeera
1 black cardamom
8 pepper corns
1 small piece cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1. Before starting with the biryani put 2 cups of water and 2 eggs in rice cooker, when the water starts boiling and shift the eggs into another bowl along with the water. Keep it covered, the eggs will continue to cook in this hot water. When the eggs are out, the rice cooker pan is free to cook biryani.
2. You can heat 3 cups of water and keep it aside too.
(It is convenient to have a electric water kettle in your dorm... to heat water, it is quicker this way.)
3. Take 2 tbsp of this hot water into a bowl and soak saffron in it. You can soak saffron in hot milk too. (or you can put saffron in cold milk and zap it in microwave for 2 mins).Keep this aside.
4. While the eggs are boiling wash the rice and drain and keep aside. Wash the rice only once (this helps in retaining its fragrance).
5. Chop onion into small pieces.
To make egg biryani-
Heat oil in a pressure cooker and put in shahjeera, black cardamom,pepper corns, cloves, bayleaf and stir for a moment. The spices will change color, peppercorns and cloves may pop.Do not keep frying for a long time as the spices will burn and taste bitter. Add onions and fry till it is slightly golden.
In Electric rice cooker- Put oil, spices and onions into the rice cooker pan and cover it with its lid. Press the cook button and let it heat till onions change color and become soft and slightly golden.
While the onions are frying, peel the eggs and slice them. Saffron tinged milk or water is ready too.
Put in the drained rice and stir briefly (a minute or two is enough)
Put in the sliced eggs, soaked saffron in milk and hot water into the rice. Add salt (3/4 to 1 tsp).
Cover the cooker and cook till rice is done.
If you are cooking in rice cooker or a non stick pan, check in between to see whether you need 1 more cup of water.
If you cooking it in pressure cooker,2 cups of water is sufficient, and cook till you hear 1 whistle.
Let the rice sit in the pan covered with lid for another 10 mins. Open the cooker and transfer the rice to a wide bowl and let it cool for 5 mins. Garnish with fresh mint leaves or mint pd.
You can eat it with curd, raita, kadhi or dal.
You can discard cloves, cinnamon and black cardamom before eating this. This are used only to flavor the biryani and are not to be eaten.
You can buy plain boiled rice and boiled eggs and stir fry together using the above spices.
You can use left over boiled rice and eggs to make this.
If you want it hot add red chilli pd or green chilli pieces while frying the onions.
Hope you found this recipe useful. Do share this recipe with anyone who needs it.
You can just give a simple click on Facebook/ Twitter/ Google+/email buttons below and share it with your friends today. Thank you !