Aebelskiver pan (electric ones are available)
Yield- 10-12 triangles or 18 aebelskivers (appe)
- 2 long ripe bananas ( should be about 2 to 2/1/2 cups when roughly chopped into pieces)
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk or 1/4 cup grated fresh or frozen coconut
- 1 &1/3 cup Instant egg-free aebelskiver or appe mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp chopped nuts such as- cashew, almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachio or macadamia.
If you have not made the instant mix then add all the below ingredients into a bowl and mix them well.
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour (gehu ka atta)
- 1/3 cup fine semolina (upma rava or superfine chiroti rava)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar ( jaggery chopped fine or grated or powdered ones are available)
- 2 cardamoms powdered
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
Take the instant mix in a bowl.
Mash the banana.
You can use an hand held blender to blend banana and coconut milk.
If you are using grated coconut, then blend it with banana using 1/2 cup water.
1. Mix in the mashed bananas and coconut milk to the instant mix. Using water, make a thick batter of dropping consistency.
2. Switch on the toaster add a drop of ghee or small piece of butter on each triangle of the toaster plate.
3. Put 2 tbsp of batter in each triangle. I have put 1 &1/2 tbsp so they did not puff up as desired.
Put few drops of ghee or 1/4 tsp butter on each and close the toaster. Cook till golden (2-3 mins)
If you put the right amount of batter, your pancakes will rise and turn golden on both sides.
Since every toaster is of unique size adjust the batter by trial and error.
If the triangle pancakes do not turn golden then turn each to the other side and cook for one more
minute.Use the same procedure to make aebelskivers (appe or paniyaram). Fill the moulds with batter till the top. Cover the pan with the lid. When it has puffed up, apply little ghee or butter and turn on to other side. Cook for 2 mins.
You can make these in the rice cooker too. Follow the procedure by which we had made the Savory Carrot cucumber onion pancakes.
You can eat them warm or at room temperature. Pack them for lunch too.
Unlike other aebelskiver or appe, these remain soft and spongy even when they have cooled down.
Hope you found this recipe useful. Please visit again and stay connected.
You can just give a simple click on Facebook/ Twitter/ Google+/email buttons below and share it with your friends today. Thank you !