Mashed potatoes with spices are popular breakfast accompaniment in every corner of India.
Some are dry like the western mashed potatoes and some have gravy.
Each version is equally delicious. Gravies are tomato based or yoghurt (curd) based. Most commonly they are thickened with roasted chickpea flour (gramflour, besan). I am going to show you Tomato based mashed potato with gravy called Tariwale alu tamatar. Gravy is called rassa, rasa, rosu or tari in various Indian languages. Though usually eaten with puris (deep fried puffed and unleavened- wheat bread), it is served with semolina idli (spicy steamed cakes) and layered rotis (Parotta) in South India.
You can eat it with Kitchdee/savoury porridge, Bread slices, Steamed rice, Cumin flavored rice (jeera rice) .
Tariwale alu tamatar
- 150 ml Instant mashed potatoes (you can boil potatoes too, and mash or cut them into cubes to put into the gravy)
- 2 large nice juicy red tomatoes (chopped into cubes or grated or finely sliced with a slicer) OR 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 450 ml warm water (mashed potatoes thickens the gravy but if you prefer to add potato cubes you will require only 300 ml water)
- 2 tbsp Chickpea masala powder for stir-fry (you can use Instant Kadhi Masala too)
- 1 bayleaf (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sugar (adding this makes the gravy tasty as sometimes the tomatoes are sour and sometimes even slightly bitter)
- 2 tsp oil or butter
1.Add 75 ml water (half the measure of potato) to mashed potatoes. Stir till it becomes dry mashed potato.
2. Make a thick paste of chickpea masala powder by adding 75 ml water.
3. Warm about 500 ml water and keep it aside.
Put 2 tsp oil in the electric cooker and close it with the lid. Next press the 'COOK' button.
Fry the tomatoes till they are soft. If you are adding tomato puree or paste fry it for only 2 mins. As the tomato has fair amount of water the cooker will stay in the 'Cook' mode for the entire cooking time.
Pour the warm water into the pan and cover and cook till it starts boiling.
Add mashed potatoes or boiled potato cubes. Cover and cook again for 5-7 mins.
Some time saving and taste enhancing ideas-
- You can make this 3-4 hrs ahead and reheat it when required. You can refrigerate it too.
- If you don't want tomato pieces floating in it, you can blend it / puree this with a hand-held blender. It is very tasty and soup like.
- You can add green peas while boiling potatoes or add hard boiled eggs (peeled and cubed) into the gravy.
Hope you found this recipe useful. Please visit again and stay connected.
You can just give a simple click on Facebook/ Twitter/ Google+/email buttons below and share it with your friends today. Thank you !