Cucumber carrot pancakes smell nice and tastes yummy too. It's a cross between roti and dosa. Eat them hot for breakfast or as a snack. These pancakes remain soft even when cold so you can pack them for lunch.
Servings: Makes 4 pancakes / halve the quantity if you need 2 pancakes.
Cooking time: 6 mins per pancake in rice cooker
3 mins per pancake on a griddle
Rice cooker / Stovetop
Non-stick pan /griddle
- 1/2 cup- 1 cup (semolina + 2 green chillies cut into small pieces) or ( Instant semolina idli mix) or (Instant upma mix = ?... Don't search for this recipe. I haven't posted it yet) )
- 1/2 cup (wheat flour+ 1/4 tsp dry ginger powder +1/2 tsp jeera) or (Instant dhokli mix-1)
- 3/4 tsp salt (If you are adding instant mix, reduce the salt to 1/4 tsp ...the instant mix already has salt)
- 1/2 cup cucumber, grated
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2- 1 cup buttermilk (quantity depends on how much semolina you have added)
- Butter or oil- 4 tsp
Making the pancakes in the ricecooker-
- Mix all together to make a thick batter.
- Divide into 4 parts.
- Apply little butter or oil to the base of the rice cooker.
- Place 1 part of the pancake mixture into it and pat it to form a thin pancake.
- Cover with the lid and press 'cook' button.
- After 2 mins you will hear sizzling sound.
- The pan cake will cook for 4 mins. Do not open the lid during this time. If you open the cooker will come back to 'warm' method.
- Put some oil or butter on it.
- Flip the pan cake carefully with a wooden spoon. (If you are unable to do it then it means, you will have to cook it for another 2 mins.)
- After you have finished flipping the pancake to other side, cover the pan with the lid, the cooker will go to 'warm' mode.
- After 1- 1.5 min press the 'cook' button.
- Cook for 2 mins. The cooker might go back to warm mode after 2 mins.
- These pancakes turn golden brown. Color depends on how much butter you have used to cook it.
Cooking on the stovetop-
Make these pancakes on non-stick skillet or griddle on a slow heat.
Burnt pancakes aren't tasty.
You can make small pancakes and fry them in batches of 3 or 4 like shown in the picture below.
If you poke some holes in the pancakes, it cooks faster.
It takes 1.5 min on each side.
Cover the pan with a lid while cooking the first side.
After you flip the pancake you need not cover it while cooking.
It does not matter whether the Instant semolina cake/ rava idli mix contains baking soda or not.
Eat it plain or with butter/ chutney powder.
Hope you found this recipe useful. Please visit again and stay connected.
You can just give a simple click on Facebook/ Twitter/ Google+/email buttons below and share it with your friends today. Thank you !