Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Instant Oat Wheat Moong Porridge Mix



 
Also called as kichidee or pongal. This versatile mix can be used for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It tastes good even at room temperature. Make this and store it in a jar.
 Click this to print out the recipe label for cooking this porridge. You can stick this on your Instant porridge mix jar.

 


1 cup mix= 3 Cups cooked  Oat Wheat Moong Porridge .




For the porridge mix:
 

  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
     
  • 1/2 cup broken wheat (don't go in for larger size,it will take lots of time to cook)
     
  • 1/2 cup moong dal
     
  • 2 tsp salt
     
  • 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder

For tempering:

  •  3 tsp ghee or oil 
  •  1 green chilli   
  •  2 stalks curry leaves(about 15 Leaves) (Optional) 
  •  1 tsp cumin seeds    
  •  1/2 tsp crushed peppercorns
  •  1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
  •  1/2 tsp turmeric powder

How to prepare:

Heat a heavy bottomed pan and start dry roasting separately each of the given items- 

1. Oatmeal for 2mins,

2. Broken wheat for 5mins and 

3. Moong dal for 5mins.

Transfer the roasted oatmeal and broken wheat into a big bowl.
 

When the moongdal has cooled, grind it into a slightly coarse powder.
 

Transfer this into the big bowl. Add salt and stir  well.

Now to spice it a bit-

 
Thinly slice green chillies and dry in Microwave between paper napkins for 2 minutes.

Heat ghee or oil and put cumin.
 

When it pops add curry leaves and the greenchillies. When the leaves become crisp switch off the heat .

Mix in the crushed pepper, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
 

Pour this mixture over the mix.
 

Store this in a air tight container.

Note: 

In order to retain the mix moisture-free see that the green chillies and curry leaves are crisp but not burnt.










Hope you found this recipe useful. Please visit again and stay connected. 

You can just give a simple click on Facebook/ Twitter/ Google+ / email buttons below and share it with your friends today. Thank  you !



3 comments:

  1. Hi Rekha,

    Last week I dedicated about 3 hours to prepare all the instant mixes and to store it.
    I prepared cucumber salad with the peanut masala (Khamang Kakdi also from your list of recipes) and it turned out very well. My guests were asking me for the peanut masala recipe and I gladly shared it with them. I shared your blog id with some of my friends who are foodies like me.
    I was trying to post my comment on your blog, but some reason could not publish it.

    Tons of thanks to you and please do post your creative recipes, God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Namrata...Thank you so much for sharing the recipe and this blog with your friends. Everyone loves to cook the food they have tasted and liked. Though I try to show step by step photos, recipes become popular when people actually get to taste it.
      After preparing all these instant mixes you must be enjoying lot of time for other activities.

      Delete
  2. Hi Rekha,

    Since I am working I do not get much time for other activities. However, one of my hobbies is cooking, trying different recipes, which I do almost four times a week. I am not very good at discovering new dishes, but I do like to duplicate dishes from your blog. Visiting your blog atleast twice a week during free time is must for me. Thanks once again and do post some more easy vegetable dishes. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your precious time on my blog. Please leave a note if you like my recipe or if you wish to say something. Do share your experiences with me, after you have tried this recipe.