Sunday, 10 November 2013

French beans stir-fry

 
Beans taste best when stir-fried adding some powdered nuts or chickpea-flour. This stir-fry requires fresh, dark green and tender french beans. It should snap easily between your fingers. Older beans have lot of fibers and should be avoided because it takes long time to cook and by that time it will loose all its crunch and color.
If french beans are not available you can try this recipe with tender  

Cuba beans (also known as yard long beans, barbati, alasande, chauli chya shenga or lobia ki phali
or 
Indian flat beans (also known as sem ki phali, chapparada avarekayi, val papdi ).
Beans is steamed first and then spiced with chickpea powder masala, garlic and onion.


Applicance-     Rice cooker/ Microwave/ Stove top

Cooking time- 8-10 mins steaming
                         8 mins      frying (halve the time if cooking in the microwave)

Ingredients




  • 2 cups (400 ml chopped french beans, fresh or frozen- do not defrost before steaming)[buy 250g beans]
  • 2 green chillies, chopped into big pieces (optional, only if you want it more hot)
  • 6 cloves garlic (slit into two and peeled) or 1/8 tsp garlic powder (optional)
  • 100 ml (about 1medium sized) onion chopped
  • 2 tbsp Chickpea masala powder/ Peanut masala powder
  • 2 tsp oil

Preparing this is very easy-

Steam the beans in the rice cooker for 10 mins till cooked. If you want crunchy cook less time.
Transfer the beans into a bowl and mix Chickpea masala powder into this. Check the salt and add about 1/4 tsp salt if required.
Remove the water from the rice cooker and wipe it with a towel.
Add oil into the pan and cover with the lid. Press the 'cook' mode.
When the oil is hot put garlic and green chillies and stir-fry it for a minute and then add onion.
Cover the pan with the lid and check whether the cooker is in 'cook' mode, if not press it.
Cover and cook the onion till soft and translucent.It should lose its raw smell (about 3 mins).
Throw in the steamed and masala coated french beans.
Cook for 3 mins, tossing regularly to ensure everything is mixed properly.
Serve hot or cold with any bread or rotis or as a sidedish along with steamed rice and  Tomato dal/ konkani dal.



 Variation- Steam french beans and green peas. Put this into a non-stick pan or electric rice cooker pan. Mix little oil and salt into this. Sprinkle Instant peanut pd masala for stir-fry on top and cover and cook for 2 mins. Open the lid and  stir fry for a minute.







Hope you found this recipe useful. Please visit again and stay connected. 

You can just give a simple click on Facebook/ Twitter/ Google+/email buttons below and share it with your friends today. Thank  you !

6 comments :


  1. How to prepare the peanut masala powder? Can you please elaborate?

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namrata.. I have connected the links to peanut masala and chickpea masala
    if you click on them you will be connected. I know there are too many links in my recipe.Since my instant mix are multipurpose I have to post them separately.Thank you for leaving some words.Nice to know my visitors.I keep wondering who visits my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rekhaji, I prepared this recipe today. I liked it very much. However, would have liked to taste the dish prepared by you to know how close I am to the original taste. Will try your recipe of ginger and beetroot. Thanks a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear this.Namrata ...this is one of those easy recipes which sometimes tempt you to run into the kitchen to prepare it immediately.Beetroot ginger was exclusively posted for facebook community.I think I should post it here too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rekhaji, Tried Beetroot and ginger stir fry yesterday. My hubby liked it so much that he wanted to eat it all.
    I am happy I checked your blog and
    now,I look forward for your easy recipes and buy vegetables accordingly.

    Will keep you updated on the recipes I try from your blog.

    Thank you so much and keep up the good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted the beetroot stirfry with ginger here on the blog, yesterday but with slight variations to suit dorm cooking. And yes Namrata this traditional stir-fry recipe is really easy & tastes amazingly good.I will try to post more vegetable recipes in future.
    Feel free to call me Rekha.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your precious time on my blog. Please leave a note if you like my recipe or if you wish to say something. Do share your experiences with me, after you have tried this recipe.